Another day at the sewing machine and serger/overlocker, another day getting the seam ripper out! I really should concentrate a bit more, I think. At least I don't make the same mistake twice - I find completely new ways to stuff things up. Enough of that for now...
Today, I started on some flat-front pants for my little man, in green striped material (Garden Magic twill in sage, from Moda to be exact, purchased from Whipstitch). I drafted the pattern from a pair of jeans, and am hoping the fit turns out ok! I spent the first 10 minutes of my sewing session debating whether I should try flat-lock seams for the side seams. After much to-ing and fro-ing, I decided I should get some more practice in with the overlocker before I venture into "decorative" work. I did a test run on an off-cut, and was pleased with the result, so started doing my first side seam. IT WAS TERRIBLE! The stitching was loose, all over the place, and the fabric wasn't feeding through properly. After a minor freak-out and more disastrous test-runs, I discovered I'd left the foot up. I swear it's much more obvious on my sewing machine!
Out came the seam-ripper, threads went everywhere, and I was back on track. After an hour and three quarters, here is the end result:
Next up: Tracksuit pants