Time for another yummy lunch recipe:
Cornish Pasties - perfect for a wet, windy day (like here today in Perth). Another way for me to avoid eating sandwiches for lunch, and sneak in a few vegetables too.
No long story today – let’s go straight to the recipe:
2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, defrosted
150g beef mince (ground beef)
1 small potato, chopped in small pieces (<1/2cm/1/4inch)
1 small carrot, chopped in small pieces
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Place the beef mince, potato, carrot, onion, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste in a bowl and mix together. I find it easiest to just squish it around with my fingers.
3. Cut the 2 shortcrust pastry sheets into 4 squares each (8 squares in total). Round off the corners to make 8 circles of pastry.
4. Place the filling in the centre of the pastry circles, dividing it out as evenly as possible!
5. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg. Fold the sides of the pastry to the top and pinch the pastry together to seal off.
6. Place on the oven tray. Brush the pastry with more egg.
7. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.